The exact familial relationship between these Pakuni is never explicitly stated. Ta is a domineering, egotistical and a treacherous Pakuni who never comes to trust the Marshalls. He can be bargained with, however, and although he usually attempts to cheat the Marshalls it is not particularly difficult to see through the trick. Sa occasionally seems to be a moderating influence on Ta, but for the most part serves as a follower. Ta is sometimes considered to be the "alpha" Pakuni or a "witch doctor". He has knowledge of some of the workings of the Land of the Lost, which he disguises with a clever use of herbs and phony chanting and dancing to make it appear that he controls them. For example, he understands that the "Pylon Express" only opens when the three moons are aligned and so times his own "opening ritual" to coincide with that, and he knows that the effects of the poison from the carnivorous plant are only temporary and so hurries to sell the Marshalls a "cure" before it wears off on its own. Both Ta and Sa get separated from Cha-Ka during the earthquake that marks the beginning of season three and were not seen there after, though it was mentioned their tracks were seen "ending at a dead-end cliff-face and disappearing" by Will in "The Longest Day".
Rick Marshall and his companions meet Ta and Sa briefly shortly after their arrival in the Land of the Lost, Rick, Holly and Will see Ta and Sa attempting to murder Cha-Ka. They decide to intervene, Will using his lighter to scare them away. Unfortunately, he burns his hand and drops his lighter, allowing Ta and Sa steal it before fleeing.
Notes and TriviaEdit
- Although never referenced within the series itself, the pilot script refers to the Pakuni's full names as "Cha-Ka-Ta" and "Cha-Ka-Sa" but shortens them to "Ta" and "Sa" for the sake of brevity. The youngest Pakuni was just called "Cha-Ka" because he lacked identity with his tribe until such time as he earned his name. Originally, there was also a fourth Paku named "Cha-Ka-Ra" but "Ra" was dropped from the story during pre-production.
- Ta is played by Joe Giamalva in Season 1 and Scutter McKay in Season 2.
- Sa is played by Sharon Baird.
- Gerrold referred to Ta as a "small, furry Hitler" in his script.
- Gerrold deliberately left the relationship vague but describes "Ta" and "Sa" as being more akin to Cha-Ka's elder siblings rather than parents.